Monday, March 5, 2012

Trivia on the Secular Franciscan Order (OFS)

Orders are organizations where its members strive to live the Gospel according a particular way of life. Congregations and Institutes and so on are those founded in order to pursue certain ministries, apostolates or cultural needs.

The Secular Franciscan Order (OFS) is not a part of the Franciscan First Order (OFM), but it is its own order. It is not an association of lay cooperators, but a REAL canonical order as it was erected as such by Pope Honorius III and this had never been revoked. It is the only secular order that was ever canonically erected as a truly autonomous order.
The OFS was founded with the intent of bringing the religious life out of the cloister and into the secular world through its members.

2 comments:

  1. Intersting stuff!Id like to make that journey through OSF myself, but I have an 8yo and a 10yo, so I think my calling is to raise them at present. Perhaps when theyre out of school I will be able to give enough of myself to become a Secular Franciscan, but it just doesnt seem feasible right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you recognize the importance of your calling as a parent. However, I think to investigate a calling in the SFO/OFS is not contradictory. What you gain in the order can be imparted in a good way to your children and family. We have a woman in our fraternity who recently adopted an infant and it has not negatively impacted her role in the fraternity or her way of life. If anything, it makes you stronger.

    There is no cost to investigation, so I would encourage you to do so.

    Pax et Bonum,
    Steve, SFO in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails